Friday, November 30, 2007

Walking into random parts of movies

I recently started working at the local cinema (or movie theater as those wacky Americans call them) again. I had to quit back in April when my mother passed away. This time, I'm working as an usher three days a week, which is much better than being stuck in the box office all the time. And I get to walk round and watch movies to make sure they're playing ok. So I have an opinion on pretty much every movie playing right now, or at least the parts I've seen (which is mostly the beginnings and middles). Here's what I think about some of the fantasy films playing right now.

Beowulf
- looks stunning in 3D. Some of the action scenes literally made me jump. The acting and story's not bad, and the "synthespians" eyes are slightly less dead than in Robert Zemeckis' previous film, The Polar Express. Grendel (voiced by Crispin Glover) is a fascinating creation - terrifying yet oddly sad and pathetic. It's also a surprisingly raunchy film, especially in the scene where Grendel's nude mother fondles Beowulf's . . . ahem, sword.

The Contrabulous Fabtraption of Professor Horatio Hufnagel starring Troy McClure. I mean Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium starring Dustin Hoffman. As the title suggests, it's a very silly and twee film, best enjoyed by a young and undemanding audience.

Enchanted - typically Disney fluff, with the mix of live action and animation offering little new.

Next month should be better for movies, with several that I actually plan to watch all of, including I am Legend and Sweeney Todd!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home