Monday, December 29, 2008

1984

The eighties just keep getting better and better! This year had it all: spooky fun with Gremlins and Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's ET for grown-ups, the debut of Freddy Krueger and the groundbreaking computer FX of The Last Starfighter. Even the bad films, like Dune, had much to admire. Then there was The Terminator, an unbelievably good film from the director of Piranha II.

Best Movie: The Terminator (Runners-up: Repo Man, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Starman, Splash, The Company of Wolves, The Last Starfighter, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom)
Best Screenplay: James Cameron (The Terminator)
Best Director: James Cameron (The Terminator)
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges (Starman); Runners-up: Bill Murray (Ghostbusters), Arnold Schwarzenegger (The Terminator), Michael Biehn (The Terminator), Harry Dean Stanton (Repo Man), Robert Englund (A Nightmare on Elm Street)
Best Actress: Karen Allen (Starman); Runners-up: Linda Hamilton (The Terminator), Sigourney Weaver (Ghostbusters)
Best Music: Jerry Goldsmith (Gremlins); Runners-up: The Terminator, Ghostbusters, Starman, Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom
Best Visual Effects: The Last Starfighter; Runners-up: Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, 2010
Best Makeup: A Nightmare on Elm Street; Runners-up: Gremlins, The Company of Wolves
Best Production Design: The Company of Wolves
Best Costumes: Dune
Best Guilty Pleasure: Supergirl
Best Cult Movie: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Karen Allen, I wrote an unsolicited script for a Starman sequel back in 1998. It was my first script and I quit college to finish it. It’s been gathering dust ever since. I sent it to Jeff Bridges and John carpenter, although I would prefer if Carpenter didn’t direct a sequel. I wrote some good f/x sequences and some interesting characters. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be involved, but I’d to see the f/x scene from the beach being incorporated, (Jeff’s manager Neil will know the one, totally plagiarised from another movie, but it would look great on film today). If anyone has any questions, email me at hansenfilm@yahoo.ie and I’ll answer them. (Although I won’t give away any plot points. And yes there is a son and indeed, I actually have the perfect casting suggestion!!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home