Friday, January 11, 2008

2007: The year in movies

I just realised I never did my year end movie review. Perhaps it was because it was one of the worst years of my life. But here are the best and worst movies I saw last year.

Best:
Children of Men - I know it was a 2006 film, but it didn't open wide in the US until 2007. Quite simply one of the best sci-fi films in recent. Thought-provoking and exciting in equal measure.
Pan's Labyrinth - another 2006 film I didn't see until 2007. The bleak ending left many people upset, but this is one of the most beautiful dark fairytales ever filmed.
Zodiac - David Fincher's true-life serial killer tale is a very different film from Seven, but no less impressive.
300 - like Sin City, the closest you can get to a graphic novel on screen.
Grindhouse - a one of a kind experience. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't get to see Planet Terror and Death Proof together as they were intended.
The Simpsons Movie - one of the funniest films in years. Why can't they write the show that good any more?
1408 - it was a good year for Stephen King adaptations, and this adaptation of his short story was one of the creepiest films I've seen in a while.
The Mist - Frank Darabont's long-awaited adaptation of King's novella proved a thrilling and faithful adaptation. At least until "that ending".
Sweeney Todd - Tim Burton films are always a treat, and this was the perfect way to end the year.

Worst:
Spider-Man 3 - oi! Sam Raimi! No! You may be a talented director, but deciding to co-write this one and stuff in three villains was a big mistake.
The Golden Compass - I haven't even finished reading the Philip Pullman book this was based on, but I can already tell it was a poor adaptation. It dumbs down the plot and is frankly a little boring (aside from the awesome ice bears)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home