Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Forbidden Kingdom

Seems like I haven't posted in ages, because I've been so busy the last month with work and my trip to California. I didn't even have time to see any movies. But yesterday I saw the Jackie Chan/Jet Li martial arts epic The Forbidden Kingdom. My verdict? Not bad.
It was standard kung fu fantasy fare, with lots of very obvious wire work. Chan and Li were both good, and their fight scene was worth the price of admission alone. The heroine (Yifei Liu) and villainess (Bingbing Li) were both hot, and predictably got to fight each other in the big battle at the end.
The only disappointment was the kung-fu movie obsessed white kid (played by Shia LaBeouf lookaike Michael Angarano) who is at the center of the story and somehow manages to learn how to fight as well as the legends around him with only a few days training. Even though he's technically the protagonist of the story, it still seemed like he was just put in there to give American audiences a character to relate to.
Overall, it was a mindless but fun movie with some stylish visuals. I especially liked the white-haired witch's living locks that she used to grab and strangle people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home